Tuesday, May 25, 2010

It's Geek Pride Day!

Happy Geek Pride Day, all! Read about all the Rights and Responsibilities of Geekdom here. I'm not sure how I'm planning on celebrating, but it will probably involve some Carl Sagan and/or Star Trek with my husband and fellow Geek.

After months of trying to make do without, I have finally ordered a blocking board. I'm really excited about this because instead of coming in a large square or rectangle, the kit is composed of 9 12-inch squares that can be puzzled together into the size you need, or an odd shape your project may require. Knit Picks sells this mat at a very reasonable price, and I can't wait to report on it! I already have a shriveled up project to test out.

 Knit Picks Blocking Mats, $19.99 plus s&h 


In other news, I think I spotted the same pair of geese I blogged about earlier again today. I'm hoping they aren't planning a nest in the near vicinity, as my workplace has the habit of stealing their eggs and destroying their nests. Here they are, relaxing after a morning of foraging:


I would have taken a better photo of them, but I didn't want to disturb them from their siesta.

On the topic of water birds (great segue, huh?): Please go and donate to Tri-State Bird Rescue and Research. They've been helping clean up oiled animals since the oil spill in the gulf, and would appreciate either volunteers or donations. Did you know that the brown pelican, Louisiana's state bird, was just taken off the endangered species list? Go to that website and see how you can help, and what you can do to keep them from getting back on!

No comments:

Post a Comment